Sights

The Belogradchik fortress "Kaleto"

During the first two centuries of its dominion on the Balkan Peninsula the Roman Empire has put considerable effort and resources to build strong defensive outposts and strategic trade routes. The citadel near Belogradchik is presumably built at that point of history (around III century A.D.). It was supposed to control that part of the roman roads that lead from the city of Ratiaria (which is now a village called Archar) to the heart of the empire. Thus was laid the foundation of the fortress among the cliffs.
During the construction of the fortress, the Romans used the natural impassability of the cliffs as they built only two fortification walls - one to the northwest and the other to the southeast. The other sides (i.e. the northeastern and southwestern ones) of the fortress consist of two enormous 80-100m high cliffs The fortress' walls were tough, their width at the base reaching 4 to 5 meters and their height between 12 and 15 meters. It was a roman outlook citadel with two independent water wells.
Not far from the fortress there are the remains of a roman aqueduct. There is also a nearly completely preserved dungeon probably built later by the Bulgarians at the northwestern section of the fortress. A few hundred meters to the southwest you can find the remains of another ancient fortification looming high on a lone steep cliff.
In the vicinity there are lots of remains and ruins of other fortifications built as lookout outposts - the roman settlement of Cambustica near the Kladorub village; the ruins near Granichak village, the ones at the Hanishte area and Dabrava village and many others counting a total of 17.

The Cliffs of Belogradchik

The cliffs of Belogradchik are one of the most noteworthy natural wonders of Bulgaria. If you travel to Belogradchik from the capital Sofia, you will see the first group of rock formations near the village of Falkovetz. The second one called Lipenitza is to the east of the town and is comprised of the Dinosaur and the Latin Kale (a strategic fortress surrounded by a fortified wall). The Lipenitza cave is also worth visiting.

The Rabisha Cave

The Rabisha cave also known as Magurata lies underneath an extensive hill range near the Rabisha village 34 km northwest of Belogradchik. It was formed 3-4 million years ago and is considered unique because of its ancient paintings.

The Observatory

The astronomic observatory is located in the outskirts of town and is equipped with one of the most powerful telescopes in Bulgaria.

The Museum of History

The museum of history is housed in the renaissance home of the Panovi family built in 1810 which is an architectural monument in its own right. It is situated near the town center.

The Museum of Natural Science

Its exposition consists of 520 exponents with 2500 more held in the museum cache.

The Mosque

The H. Husein mosque dates back to 1751 and is the only building remaining from the old settlement. There is also the church "St. George" built in 1868 that is worth visiting.


Къща за гости Маркашница - Белоградчик

www.zumbla.net | www.blacksound.eu | www.ecars.bg | Круизна агенция travelagi